I don’t like mushrooms. In fact, I go out of my way to pick them out of things.
You’ll sometimes see me put them into recipes because I do believe they contribute a good flavor, but usually, I leave them out. That said, these sausage stuffed mushroom caps with goat cheese are some of the most delicious bite-sized morsels I’ve ever eaten. In fact, I could make a meal out of them every single day.
Perfect for any party
With a perfect mixture of sausage, cheese, mushroom and spices these stuffed mushrooms will be a hit whether you serve them as appetizers at a holiday or for the big game. Or, be like me and eat them as a meal. No sharing. 🙂
They have some health benefits too
According to The Mushroom Council (Yes, there is such a thing), mushrooms are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free and very low in sodium. They are rich in B vitamins, which help to provide energy through the breakdown of proteins, fats and carbs. They contain Niacin, which helps to maintain healthy red blood cells, and pantothenic acid, which promotes healthy skin and benefits the digestive and nervous systems.
Overall, they’re a great food to have as a part of your diet. If you are like me though and are selective about your mushroom love, you can make them this way and still get your nutrients.
Works for multiple diets
I love these stuffed mushrooms because they are low carb, Keto friendly and you can make them Whole 30 approved by just removing the cheese. I promise they will still be amazing if you remove the cheese. The cheese just makes them more amazing-er.
Recipe requests for Stuffed Mushrooms
Whether you love them or hate them, this Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Mushroom recipe will make you a little obsessed. I seriously wish I could eat these every day. My husband even likes them and he likes mushrooms less than I do.
This will be an appetizer that everyone asks you to make after they taste it. Be prepared for requests.
Thank you for visiting today! The full recipe for the Sausage
]\& Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms is below in the recipe card below. To get more appetizer recipes, click here.
Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12-15 button mushrooms, washed with stems removed
- 1 lb of mild Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1/3 cup Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 3 green onions, chopped with white bottoms separated from the green tops
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Spread out mushroom caps on a baking sheet and brush them with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Once oven is heated cook mushroom caps for 7 minutes.
- While mushrooms cook, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and then add garlic and onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add Italian sausage and begin to brown. Then add white bottoms of the green onions.
- Add garlic salt, onion powder and dried basil.
- Once the meat is cooked, turn the heat to low, add the fresh basil and add cheeses one-by-one. Continually stir so the cheese doesn't burn.
- Once all the cheese has been added remove the pan from the heat and mix well.
- Add sausage mixture to mushroom caps. Cook in the oven for 5 minutes. Continue to check to mushrooms so they don't burn but make sure they are soft before you remove them.
- Top with additional cheese, extra basil and tops of green onions. Serve immediately.