Ham and cheese is sort of like peanut butter and jelly. They’re one of those combos in life that always works and almost everyone can agree on loving. Whether it’s a sandwich, a croissant, an omelet, a slider or whatever else you can think of, ham and cheese is a much loved combo. This Ham and Cheese Breakfast Strata is no exception.
If you’ve never heard of a strata before it’s simply a fancy way of saying a layered casserole dish. It is considered an American dish and is similar in make up to a quiche or a frittata. One of the best parts is that it – like a quiche – it can actually include anything you want it to and variations abound.
- 3 cups ham diced
- 12 slices of bread cubed
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of butter melted
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 3 cups of Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 scallions chopped
- Grease your pan with your olive oil and make sure the whole pan is covered.
- Layer about half of your bread cubes on the bottom on the pan.
- Next layer half of the ham and half of the cheese.
- Add in the rest of your bread.
- Then add another layer of ham and cheese.
- Combine milk, eggs and melted butter and then pour it over the whole mixture. Make sure to cover the whole casserole with the mixture.
- Chill for at least two hours. If you want you can make this the night before you intend to serve it.
- Preheat your oven to 350 and then bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes and then serve.