Sweet potatoes have become such a buzzy food. With The Whole 30 Diet sweeping the nation periodically, sweet potatoes have become the filling starch of choice while all others have been banished to the naughty corner.
I don’t believe in naughty foods. I do believe in eating foods that taste good, make you happy AND that those foods can also be good for you. I try to live by this. Sometimes I push it a bit too far in one direction or another, but mostly, I live in this space.
The sweet bonus
Sweet potatoes are one of the foods that help me to live right in the middle. I find their sweet, carby taste a bit indulgent and filling. But I also know that they’re nutritious.
Not only were these sweet potatoes delicious, but they were also simple and wholesome. All the tastes work together so beautifully that we’ve made this recipe over and over again.
The Chimichurri is tangy, vibrant and fresh. The Tajin Lime Cream is smooth, with a hint of tangy spice and cool lime, and the sweet potatoes themselves are sweet (obviously), hearty and healthy.
Oh and if you’ve never tried Tajin before you’re missing out. It’s the main spice in the cream and a popular spice in Mexican cooking. It’s usually on Mexican Street Corn, also called Elote, and sometimes you can find it on the rim of a margarita. It’s addictive.
I can’t stress enough how much we love this recipe. My husband dreams of it and wishes he could eat it probably once a day. I’ve it because it’s so incredibly delicious and it’s also something that I feel good about indulging in.
Grab the full recipe below and see just why we love it.
P.S. Make the Chimichurri the day before and give the ingredients time to really fuse together so it can sing in the dish. It’s always a good idea to give Chimichurri 24 hours.
Grilled Sweet Potato Steaks with Chimichurri
Sweet Potato Ingredients
- 4 large sweet potatoes, cut into rounds diagonally
- 3 Tbsp. of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of cilantro
- 3/4 cup of parsley
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. of vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. red onion
- 1.5 tsp. of garlic
- 1.5- 2 tsp. of lime juice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1.5 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1.5 tsp. of Tajin
- 1 tsp. of lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat grill to medium heat or about 350 degrees.
- Wash sweet potatoes well.
- Slice them in ¼-inch slices diagonally.
- Coat sweet potatoes in olive oil and toss with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a food processor, combine your ingredients for the Chimichurri sauce and blend until pureed.
- Add your sweet potatoes to the grill. Put them directly on the grill slats. Cook each side for about 5 – 6 minutes or until they are soft.
- While they cook, mix together the ingredients for the Tajin Drizzle in a bowl. Whisk together until well combined.
- When the sweet potato steaks are done, serve immediately. Drizzled the Chimichurri over them and top each with a dollop of Tajin Drizzle.
- Reserve additional Chimichurri and Tajin Drizzle for dipping.