You know how you sometimes just get cravings for something minty and indulgent? Other people get these right? Especially around St. Patrick’s Day when you know minty, green food is around every corner? It’s literally around every corner when you consider the positioning of most McDonald’s restaurants and it’s Shamrock shake.
After having kids I decided I could no longer venture out each time I developed a craving for a Shamrock Shake though. I’d have two kids in tow and I’d have to share. (Side note: I’m not a good food sharer. I’m like Joey in Friends.)
Shamrock shake at home
Instead, I created a recipe that tastes just as good that we can make at home. I’ve decided that I like this recipe better and I like that I can control the portions for myself and the kids. I can make enough to share and I can make sure that we all have enough to get a taste without overdoing it.
As an extra treat chocolate chips are the perfect add for this milkshake. It makes it taste exactly like the most perfect mint, chocolate chip ice cream treat.
If you’re looking for these fun milkshake glasses, you can find them here. Sometimes I think having the right glass can make it taste even better. These are also perfect anytime you’re having a birthday party or any sort of fun celebration. We’ve used them on the 4th of July too!
This is perfect for parties, St. Patrick’s Day and just because! I hope you enjoy it.
Happy eating, friends!
Homemade Shamrock Shake
- 6 scoops your favorite vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 tsp pure mint extract
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups whole milk (Feel free to substitute)
- 7 drops green food coloring
- whipped cream
- Add six, small scoops of ice cream to your blender.
- Add in milk and mint.
- If your blender gets stuck, stop the blender and use a spoon or fork to remove the ice cream off the blades before blending again. Or, you can add a wee bit more milk.
- Pour into your favorite milkshake glass and enjoy!