Scientists Find Possible Relief For Colicky Babies

It happens to so many of us. We have a baby, bring them home, expect life to be perfect and full of comforting snuggles. Then that baby cries for hours and hours on end and almost nothing (sans running the vacuum right next to their heads or endlessly breastfeeding) seems to help.

At your wits end you turn to your doctor, begging for help with your child, which is clearly possessed. Your doctor says one word that all parents have heard but don’t really understand until they’ve experienced it: Colic.

Scientists Find Possible Relief For Colicky Babies - The everyday mom life

Colic is a word that strikes fear into the hearts of parents who have lived it. Personally, my daughter cried for almost 6 hours straight once. When my husband and I finally got her to sleep we were exhausted, irritated with each other and wondering if it would ever end. That was a common night for us for more than a month.

Defined as three hours of crying each day, for at least three days a week for a period of three weeks or more, colic is something that’s source has remained somewhat of a scientific mystery. It’s thought to be connected to gastro intestinal issues, but that’s about all the doctors and scientists have been able to discover.

However, even though the root cause is still unknown, there may now be some relief for colicky babies and their parents. A new study has provided the most comprehensive evidence that a probiotic called Lactobacillus reuteri is actually an effective treatment. This is currently on the market for a treatment for colic.

Trials were conducted in Italy, Poland, Canada and Australia with 345 babies with colic and the raw data suggests that the probiotic can help babies who are exclusively breastfed. The babies who received the probiotic were twice as likely to have reduced their crying by 50 percent after three weeks.

Results aren’t as conclusive about formula fed babies because only one of the trials included them, and all four trails had different conclusions about the overall effectiveness.

“Parents who are worried about their baby’s crying should still see a doctor to check that there is no underlying medical cause for their baby’s crying,” said Murdoch Children’s Research pediatrician Valerie Sung, lead of the Australian clinical trial, told sciencealert.com. “If parents are still keen to try something for their baby, then this probiotic is the best option.

“I think it’s not a cure for everyone, but certainly it might offer a little bit of help.”

The full findings can be found in Pediatrics, an American Academy of Pediatrics publication. More studies are needed to see if findings hold true and will expand to formula fed babies.

• robin rue January 10, 2018 03.31 pm

One of my nieces was colicky and it was terrible. Glad there is a possibility of some relief for the poor kids (and parents).

• Kansas Bonanno January 10, 2018 06.02 pm

my youngest is having such bad tummy troubles, granted she’s in a harness for hip dysplasia. This has alot of awesome information, thanks for posting!

• Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh January 10, 2018 06.36 pm

I am so thankful that neither of my girls had colic when they were babies. A dear friend of mine, all three of hers had it, and she had an awful time.

• Kat Lynch Ledder January 10, 2018 06.56 pm

I experienced the horror that is colic, I tried everything from cutting dairy from my own diet (breastfeeding), cycling her legs, tummy massage… etc nothing worked! It’s insane there is this common thing in newborns that no one seems to know much about.

• Angela Tolsma January 10, 2018 07.56 pm

Oh how interesting that a probiotic might help. I am glad they are doing research into the whys of colick, it definitely sucks for parents and the little one.

• Jessica Joachim January 10, 2018 08.36 pm

Where was this when my baby was a baby lol He was pretty Colicky and it sucked! I don’t think we slept for a month haha

• Anna January 10, 2018 09.23 pm

That’s great news that will make many parents happy. My daughter didn’t have that problem when she was a baby but I know it’s so common. It’s wonderful that they’ve found a solution at last.

• Krystal Butherus January 11, 2018 12.08 am

This is awesome news! Our son was colicky, and it wasn’t fun. I’m so glad that there has been a breakthrough on this issue.

• Karen Morse January 11, 2018 12.32 am

It’s good to have a solution for it. I don’t have kids and I’ve never experienced it, but it’s good to know what can help, so I can share it with friends.

• Lesley Carter January 11, 2018 12.49 am

I’ve never heard of Lactobacillus reuteri, but imagine how many parents will be forever grateful if it works? What an amazing find.

• Terri Steffes January 11, 2018 02.18 am

My daughter was a colic baby and she grew up to have Crohn’s. I wonder if there is a connection. I wish I knew!

• Dana January 11, 2018 04.12 am

Wow! If there is actually something that will help, that will be such a blessing to so many families!

• Jasmine January 11, 2018 05.14 am

My son wasn’t a colicky baby but i have been s around others and its terrible. Hopefully this info helps patents with a baby who has it

• AnnMarie John January 11, 2018 08.01 am

It’s really tough when parents and babies go through this. I really think this research is going to help parents deal with colicky babies if needed!

• Shandy Kaye January 11, 2018 12.41 pm

It seems those parents needs a deep patience for their babies, is there a remedies for the babies?

• brianne January 11, 2018 12.42 pm

My son was colic and there was nothing we could do to soothe him. It so nice to know their may be a solution to this!

• magen January 11, 2018 06.35 pm

I was lucky enough not to have to deal with this when my son was little, but I do remember my niece having it so bad. I used to stay with my brother in order to give them some peace at night while I watched the fussy baby.

• Melanie January 11, 2018 06.47 pm

I wonder if the probiotic makes their tummies feel better? I really feel for all those parents who have a colicky baby <3

• Helene January 11, 2018 07.35 pm

This is incredible! I was a colic baby and I often worry that when I have children they might be, as well. I’m glad there have been scientific breakthrough since I was an infant!

• Autumn January 11, 2018 07.44 pm

So much great information! All 3 of my boys had colic, and it was such a trying experience. You feel like there is just nothing you can do! Great article!

• Melissa January 12, 2018 03.15 am

This is such a helpful tip with hose struggling with this. Hopefully I can come back to it when I have my own children. Very informative post!

• Maria Katsulos January 12, 2018 05.24 am

This is so interesting. I think we sometimes forget that medicine is not an exact art still, in 2017, and scientists are still making advances!

• Cathy January 12, 2018 04.04 pm

This is great news! Hopefully I’ll remember to come back to this when we have our own children.

• Julie I Aloha Lovely January 12, 2018 07.11 pm

I didn’t have colicky babies but sympathize with mamas that did. Hopefully this helps many find relief!

• Ayana Pitterson January 13, 2018 03.59 am

So…where was this when my youngest, age 6 now, went through this. I was sleep deprived and couldn’t bare the thought of the nights. Crying for 3 hours, and nothing to help her…or me! I truly hope this works. Life saver.

Thrifting Diva

• Marielle Altenor January 13, 2018 09.37 am

This was one of my fears when my daughter was a born. I had read and heard so many horror stories and seen videos of colicky babies enough to be very afraid. Lucky for us we didn’t have any issues. I know that is not the case for a lot of parents so this would good news for many.

• Heather January 17, 2018 01.42 am

This is great! My daughters were not colicky but I know many friends that struggled with this. Not being able to help your infant feel better is such a horrible feeling!