My daughter has been obsessed with the Dreamwork’s Troll Movie since we saw it at the theater this fall. The week before Christmas she told me that Equestria Girls (a My Little Pony/person hybrid that she had loved for a year) were not longer “in her heart” and that Trolls were now “in her heart.” I wanted to tell her that you can’t just change it up on Santa like that, but instead I hurried to Target and bought her a few, little Troll dolls.
At any rate, we have been living in the Troll village ever since – we listen to the soundtrack (Justin Timberlake is now a household name here), watch the music videos and dance around the living room and of course play with the dolls.
Now that Valentine’s Day has come around I knew she would somehow want to incorporate the Trolls. The last few years we have made a card box at home and this year I wanted to do something a little more special for her and her brother, whom she has roped into her obsession and love of JT.
I knew I wanted to make Poppy and (happy) Branch Troll boxes for them so I set off to the craft store with an idea in my head. It changed a little since my original plan but I’m thrilled with the final outcome! Check out the results below.
You will need:
- Cardboard mailboxes or cardboard boxes
- Dark pink and grey/blue spraypaint
- Pipe cleaner – Color doesn’t really matter but I also did pink and blue in case any of it showed.
- Feather boa in pink and/or blue (they sell these at the craft store in short sizes)
- Foam paper in pink and/or blue
- Google eyes
- A sharpie
- Puffy paint in pink and/or blue and clear glitter
1. Spray paint your boxes in a well ventilated area. (Meet my garage floor.)
2. Punch holes in the sides of your boxes with a screw driver and hammer. I originally tried a hole punch but the cardboard was too tough. Also, since these open I made the decision to put the hair on the part that opens. If I hadn’t then the hair would have been too far back relative to their faces since there is a lip on the lids.
3. Thread your pipe cleaner through the holes on both sides and make a point on the top.
4. Thread your feather boa through the pipe cleaner back and forth. Start at the bottom and tie it so it holds. Once you reach the top tie it again. Just be careful with it as the box opens and closes. It will be fairly secure but you might have to bend it back into shape.
5. Use your foam paper to create noses, eye brows and ears. You can use glue but I still all these pieces on with tape in case I wanted to remove anything. The ears will need to be taped as you can see in the visual below.
6. If you’re making Poppy, use the Sharpie to draw black circles for her eyes and eye lashes. Let dry. Glue the google eyes on so they stay secure.
7. Again for poppy, I used two pieces of green pipe cleaner to form her headband. Then I taped the foam flowers to it.
8. Using puffy paint, draw on their mouths and add any glitter embellishments like I did with Poppy’s cheeks and centers of the flowers in the final photos.
That’s it! All said and done it was much easier than I thought it would be. I always feel like I have these pictures in my head of how things should look and it never really ends up that way. This time, it did.
My daughter is ecstatic with the results and she wants to decorate the inside all Poppy pink now too. She can’t wait to bring it to school and show her friends.
If you try it let me know how it goes! And, if you already have a box for your child for this year, pin this. Based off the success of the first one you just know Dreamworks will be making a second one.
Check out our DIY & Craft Section for more fun ideas.
Wow!! These are amazing! My kids loved Trolls too! They saw it with my parents so I haven’t seen it yet. I’m thinking of picking it up this weekend for a movie night!
Oh my gosh these are the cutest!! My daughter would flip over these! You’re so creative!
These are so cute! I love how they’re so easy to make.
My little girl is obsessed with Trolls right now! She would love this!
how cute! we haven’t seen it yet but she has been asking to. My daughter loves MLP but lately it had been all about this Netflix show Mia and Me and unfortunately they don’t sell any of the swag in the states
Ok My daughter is only 18 months but she loves Trolls! I guess it’s the fact that they sing and are super colourful. I’m sure she would absolutely adore this boxes! I then destroy them because that’s what 18 month old kids do!!! LOL Love this post
Ok first – Justin Timberlake SHOULD be a known name in every household! haha… Second, I am totally going to make a pink troll mailbox because I cant stand the cuteness of it!
Amen to that! JT is amazing!
Ok, these are adorable. If I had grandkids, we’d be making them for their school Valentine parties. Adorable.
OMG I love the mall box idea! That is so awesome. It’s nice when your obsessed with something and people find good ways to bring it about!
This is such a cute idea! I haven’t seen Trolls yet, but I can’t wait to see it. Looks so much fun!
Those are just the cutest Valentine boxes ever!
I have yet to see this movie! Either way though these are too freaking cute!
Those are really cute. If I had something like that sitting at the end of my driveway, I would be the envy of my neighborhood.
This would be so fun for the troll lover on Valentines! I love making boxes for my kids to take and put my valentines in.
Omg these are so adorable! And you’ve made it seem so easy to put it together. I don’t know of any kids I could make it for but I might just make one for myself 🙂
I’m always looking for fun new Valentine’s Day mailbox ideas for my daughter. This year she is in second grade and her pet hedgehog has inspired a hedgehog mailbox. She just might change her mind after I show her this!
This is so cute and is such a great idea!!!
These Troll boxes are so cute I only wish my daughter who is now 15 was young enough to make these!
Awh this is adorable! My niece & nephew would totally love these, they are obsessed with the Trolls xx
You did such a good job in recreating the characters! Your daughter is very lucky to have such a crafty mom.
Those are absolutely adorable and look easy enough that even I can make them. 😉 I’m not so crafty. LOL
These are too cute for words! We just watched Trolls this weekend and my little lady is full blown addicted!
Oh my, those are adorable!!! I bet my niece would love them.
These are super cute mailboxes for kids. This would be great to collect all their valentine’s in! Not sure my boys would be into it though haha.
These are so adorable. My son and I just watched trolls a couple of weeks ago.
These are SO creative! adorable!
Oh my goodness! This is so cute! A fun and crafty project I’d do with my nephew
This is the cutest thing! I love Trolls and my 5 yr old cousin wants to have a Troll hotel party so this might be a cute idea for it.
OMG this is soooo cute!!! Marli is obsessed with Trolls and we are having a Trolls theme 4th birthday so I am going to try and make these.