6 Ways To Avoid Gaining Weight Over The Holidays

This post was sponsored by MediFast. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

With Holiday Season here it’s time for the traditional holiday parties, foods and festivities. However, before all the yule tide and joy overtakes your life, it’s also time to start taking some conscious lifestyle precautions so your belly doesn’t start shaking like a bowl full of jelly.

ways to keep the weight off during the holidays - The Everyday Mom Life

While I’ve been on MediFast Flex there have been some conscious choices I’ve had to make that have helped throughout the fall season and I plan to continue those into the holidays. In the middle of planning parties and delicious dishes, I also need to plan to do more so I don’t completely derail.

Often for me the holidays have been more about making choices to help maintain my weight. Personally, I like to be realistic about life and life at Thanksgiving and Christmas includes a bit of dessert.

Therefore, I don’t plan to lose much throughout the season, but I also don’t intend to lose progress after being on MediFast Flex for about six weeks. So, here are six things I’ll be doing to avoid packing on the extra pounds while having a holly jolly Christmas.

Take part in a run streak

A run streak is when you plan to run at least one mile every day. I have done this in the past and it really helps to start my day off right. When I’m running I’m always more conscious about the food I put in my mouth because I’m aware of how far I’ll have to go to burn that off. So this really serves two purposes for me. It gets me active daily in a meaningful way and makes me more aware.

If you don’t think you have time for this, I promise after a few days you start to make time. Make sure your spouse is there to motivate you and encourage you or you are doing this with a group of friends so you can encourage each other. You don’t need to do it together, in person though. Usually I’m inspired by friends over Facebook and we motivate each other just by sharing our mileage on there.

If you’re not into running, do a Whatever Streak – yoga, bike riding, walking, Pilates, kick boxing, etc. Make it something that fits into your life and it will be easier to stick to. Just make sure you either do one mile each day or whatever the equivalence to that would be for some of the other exercises.

Be active with your family

Since children will be off for Thanksgiving break and the holidays, get outside with your kids. Go ice skating, sledding, skiing, take a walk together to see Christmas lights, etc. You can do some of these things with young kids and even those kids home from college. The point is to just get out and be active together so that in the evening, when you sit down to watch that holiday movie you don’t feel as bad about the bowl of popcorn you might be sharing.

Eat before you go

I used to never eat before a big holiday party. I always knew there would be plenty of food there that I would want to eat and would put it off. Bad idea. Once I arrived I would be starving and totally gorge myself on all the yummy food because I was so starving.

Instead, I’ve found that eating before I go someplace helps to keep me from going crazy. I believe it will help you too. You don’t have to eat a full meal before you leave the house but have a healthy snack that’s filling and you won’t feel like you need to fill up an empty belly.

Drink your water

Basically, ever stop drinking your water. I know water might not be the drink of choice during holiday season but you should still be striving to get in plenty of ounces. The weather outside may be frightful but your water will keep your body delightful.

If you have a hard time drinking a lot of water try to flavor it in some way. I’ve loved using the MediFast water flavoring packets in White Grape Peach and Lemon to help me guzzle down my water. I’m a fan of plain water but I find I drink it faster when it’s flavored with these.

ways to keep the weight off during the holidays - The Everyday Mom Life

Make the smarter choice

When we have a holiday dinner at my grandma’s house there are usually multiple options for your side dishes. I love that my family celebrates this way and it there is always something on the table that everyone will like. I also love that it allows for a lot of choices. When you can make the choice between side dishes, desserts or appetizers, go with the option that will be better for you. For instance, pick the green beans and almonds versus the sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. Or, take the marshmallows off the sweet potatoes and eat them (as long as they aren’t throughout the dish or loaded with brown sugar too).

Have a taste only, but don’t taste test

Because temptation can be so great during the holidays I believe its fine to give into it a little as long as you have self-control. Have a half of slice of pie instead of a whole piece, have a small serving of marshmallow fluff (This is tiny marshmallows, pistachio pudding, pineapple and some other things all mixed together. A holiday staple at our house.) or one Christmas cookie.

However, don’t have a little of this and a little of that. This go for appetizers and dessert. Taste testing can very quickly lead to eating too much because you don’t really keep track of everything that you’re eating.

Do you think these suggestions will work for you? Tell me below what you plan to try to keep from packing on the holiday pounds.

• Teresa November 13, 2017 07.55 pm

I just skip the cookies and desserts. My MIL used to send over HUGE, massive trays of sweets and I told her she just couldn’t’ do that any longer. My husband would eat hem all.

• serena November 13, 2017 08.06 pm

Love the exercise daily part. A mile a day is such a short amount of time in your day but it really is a motivator to watch what you eat.

• robin rue November 13, 2017 08.17 pm

I am so bad, but I love your tips to try to keep my weight in check. It’s sure a lot of work, though 🙂

• Lisa Keifer November 13, 2017 10.03 pm

Great list of ideas! I like the idea of tasting but not everything. That’s usually what gets me. I always want to sample all the foods instead of a few.

• Scarlet @ Bea November 13, 2017 10.18 pm

All great advice! Reducing quantity is a great way to enjoy without over indulging.

• Nicole November 13, 2017 10.49 pm

The two tips I’m taking with me for all the holiday gatherings are: 1) eat before you go and 2) drink more water! These are super simple and I know this will help! Thanks for sharing these tips!

• Krystal Butherus November 13, 2017 10.57 pm

These are all great tips! I already drink a lot of water, so that won’t be a problem. For me, it’s going to either be portion control or a cheat day!

• Jessica November 14, 2017 12.45 am

This is a hard mission! I like to walk, I guess I can do a little more of that during the holidays!

• Karen Morse November 14, 2017 01.36 am

I think we’re always confused about eating too much because there’s a lot of food to enjoy. It’s okay to taste a little and know your limit as well. We’re not required to eat a bunch of everything after all. These are great tips!

• Beth Davidson November 14, 2017 02.07 am

I will certainly be trying all of these! I’m in the final stretch of losing baby weight, and the holidays are scaring me.

• Magen November 14, 2017 02.54 am

Wonderful tips. I always struggle with this during the holidays.

• Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh November 14, 2017 03.14 am

These are all really great tips. I always struggle from Halloween until January 1st. I’m thinking that this year may be different.

• reesa November 14, 2017 03.30 am

Oh man by the time the new year rolls around I am usually a good 10lb heavier. I am trying my hardest not to do that this year!

• Terri Steffes November 14, 2017 03.43 am

I am going to commit to getting my water in. There are too many goodies out there to ignore! I will consider the taste and not indulge mentality, too.

• Anna November 14, 2017 05.06 am

This is one of my goal this year, is not to gain any weight. Although, it will be hard to avoid I am gonna try my very best. Great post here.

• Maryal November 14, 2017 06.26 am

Yearly. Battle. I needed these tips this year! And for me it’s not just gaining weight that’s the issue. Going wild with the sweets and treats really throws my whole body out of whack, from my stomach to my skin! Thanks for sharing!

• Jessica Joachim November 14, 2017 02.10 pm

Gaining weight over the Holidays is such a problem for me lol I always end up just indulging this time of the year and I really need to watch myself this year.

• Jillian November 14, 2017 03.38 pm

These are great tips!!! My hubby and I have also made a little agreement that on actually holiday days, we can eat whatever but only on those days. The rest of the holiday season, we are going to be eating healthy still. 🙂

• Kimberly Lewis November 14, 2017 04.19 pm

I really need this! I have the hardest time. Thanks for sharing this!

• Brittany November 14, 2017 05.21 pm

There is so many yummy dishes and treats to enjoy during this season. I try to control my portions and stay active as much as possible.

• CIndy Ingalls November 14, 2017 07.21 pm

These are really helpful tips. I’ve often made the mistake of not eating before I go to a party because I know there will be lots of food. Then I end up eating way too much and feeling ick. Drinking lots of water and at least having a snack is a smart way to avoid the over eat.

• JESSICA November 14, 2017 07.59 pm

I needed this reminder!! Thank you. A little awareness goes a long way.

• Lisa November 14, 2017 08.06 pm

Sorry, I had laughed when I read the title, first. It’s so me taste test, then out to watch the sparks outside munching and carrying food on the left hand. After a few hours, I come back to eat, clean and sleep. lol Seriously, it’s a great tip. If we have a self-discipline and self-control.

• Jessica November 14, 2017 10.48 pm

I don’t think I drink enough water, I need to force myself in drinking a little more, I think that would help!

• Stacey Berube November 15, 2017 02.09 am

These are wonderful tips to keep in mind through the holidays!

• Jeanine November 15, 2017 07.46 pm

I’m pregnant again this year so I really don’t need to worry too much about this. but its great for those who want to keep a handle on it, great advice!

• Heather November 16, 2017 01.52 am

These are great tips! I definitely should be more strategic about eating before attending holiday events this season.

• Brittany November 17, 2017 02.51 pm

So many good tips here. Drinking water is such a great tip. I also like waking up early and going for a run so that I don’t feel guilty later in the day.

• Flossie McCowald | SuperMomHacks November 17, 2017 06.42 pm

I LOVE these tips! Honestly, I have read so many posts like this over the years, because this is an area where I always struggle – but, that said, these are great suggestions and several (love #1 esp) are new to me! Pinned in several spots on my boards!